August 05, 2014

Jeff Krebs—CPCE, Construction Management

A dedicated family man, brave American veteran, and hard-working citizen, Jeff Krebs was awarded the Summer Alumni Award this year. His journey back to school started during his deployment in Afghanistan. His interest in construction management led him to the College of Professional and Continuing Education (CPCE), which helped him secure his current job as an assistant project manager at a well-respected general contracting firm in Boston.

Krebs has plans to earn a master’s degree in construction management and hopes to eventually become a project executive for a large construction management firm, or create his own construction management consulting firm.

What was your most rewarding experience at Wentworth?

There’s one course that’s called your senior capstone project, and it’s a cumulative exercise. It’s probably one of the best learning experiences I’ve had. You have to be really tight to the cuff on how you do it. You’re able to take a lot of the things you learned in all the other classes and you’re able to use them all in this one class and actually be able to put the rubber to the road, so to speak.

What was your favorite part of your particular program?

Most of the professors, especially being in the night program as opposed to the day program, have experience from currently working in the field. You’re not just learning the book material, you’re getting a lot of experience that that person brings to the table. And then being able to translate that into where I’m working in the field currently, and put all that into practice every day. It helps the students stand out head and shoulders above everyone else.

What are your plans for after commencement?

Hopefully get a job. Right now I’m an assistant project manager for a general contractor in the South End. Ideally, I’d really like to work for a larger company and do more commercial projects. I’d really like be an assistant project manager and become a project manager, being able to take the reins a lot more. I think that’s totally achievable with the education I received from Wentworth.

What was your deployment experience like?

Doing construction in a combat environment is nothing like anything on the state side. You’re setting up a site that’s going to be in the same spot every day for 30 days. You’re going to get noticed. So I think in general it gives you a mentality that there’s so much you can accomplish in a day. You can really just weed right through it because you don’t have a lot of time when you’re outside the wire building things. I’d say that that’s one thing I try to bring over every day.