August 05, 2014

Ed Winters—Mechanical Engineering

Ed Winters—Mechanical Engineering

In addition to being a full-time student, Ed Winters is working part time with the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA), where he helped set up operational procedures for the new in-service oil analysis laboratory. He also spent a co-op at JC Cannistraro in Watertown.

Prior to returning to school to complete his degree, Winters spent six years serving in the US Army as a Cavalry Scout. Shortly after the 9/11 attacks, he left the Rochester Institute for Technology, where he had been studying mechanical engineering, to enlist. He was deployed twice to Iraq, serving as a driver, gunner, personal security detail, and dismounted team leader during his 27 months of deployment. Ed was promoted to sergeant and served in supervisory roles during both combat deployments.

What did you enjoy most about your program here at Wentworth?

For me, it was kind of a unique situation because, being the first class through, it was a really small group. We formed a pretty tight group of guys and it was a nice team effort. Certain people are strong at certain parts and certain people are weak in other parts, so we would always work together to make sure that everybody understood the material and got the things done. I like being in that kind of environment.

What are your plans for after commencement?

To get a job in the area. My partner has a job at MIT and likes it so far, and I think I’m going to see where that goes. So I want to start a career in the Boston area and we’ll go from there.

What was your most rewarding experience at Wentworth?

Probably graduation!

What was your experience in Iraq like?

It was an experience. For me it was eye opening. I got to see the reality of the world splayed out. It let me understand and have a lot more appreciation for the struggles that people really do go through in the world and how tough things can be. It puts everything into perspective. It’s like, “Oh the homework is tough.” But at the end of the day, it could be way worse.

What is a key takeaway from your time at Wentworth?

There is always something to learn. I guess at the end of the day I’m never going to be 100-percent ready to handle any task and that’s okay. Just go into it and realize I have to learn.