August 05, 2014

Haylee Bacik—Construction Management

Haylee Bacik—Construction Management

A four-year member of the Wentworth softball team and a captain of this year’s team, Haylee Bacik started all 138 games in which she played, with the majority of them at first base. In addition to having the most productive offensive season of her career this past season, she also stepped up and pitched in 20 games for the team.

Bacik was named Academic All-Commonwealth Coast Conference in each of the last three seasons and earned Academic All-District One this past season. Off the field she is a member of Chi Alpha Sigma, the student-athlete honor society. At this year’s annual awards night she received the President's Award for Construction Management and was one of 10 recipients of the Edward T. Kirkpatrick Co-operative Education Awards.

What did you enjoy most about Wentworth?

It would definitely have to be the co-op program, because [co-op] really gives you a well-rounded view of your major. I’ve actually done four co-ops—I did an extra one my freshman year. They really help you, because coming back from co-op makes everything that your professors are talking about make even more sense; you’re bringing back your real world experience to your classroom.

What are your plans after commencement?

I will be working for Gilbane Building Company. I’ve done three co-ops with them—one my sophomore year, one my junior year, and one my senior year. I’m going to be a project engineer.

How were your able to do the extra co-op?

When I was a freshman, one of my professors asked if I would be interested in pursuing a co-op. I went on a couple interviews, one of which was Elaine Construction, a small general contracting firm in Newton. They hired me right then and there. I had only done freshman classes and I just had the base of everything, but I learned quickly, and they were really great and got me started with everything.

What was your most rewarding experience at Wentworth?

I was involved with the Associated Schools of Construction competition; it’s a competition that we do against other schools in Massachusetts with the Construction Management department. I participated the first time during my junior year and we came in second. This past year I kind of led the team and we came in first. That was awesome! We went up against 17 different schools and we had to do a construction management proposal similar to what we have to do in senior project, but you only have 12 hours to do it. It’s very intense, and my group came together and we did a fantastic job. Hearing that we won first place was the most rewarding thing that’s ever happened.

How do you manage your time with being a student athlete in addition to your schoolwork?

It’s a lot, but I loved playing a sport here because it helps you with managing your time. Being a student athlete here has been awesome. You get to meet a bunch of different people, and then you also get to learn skills like leadership and time management, and that transitions back to co-op.