August 05, 2014

Olivia Hegner—Architecture

Olivia Hegner—Architecture

Olivia Hegner is an active member of the Wentworth Architecture review (WAr) as a lead editor and fundraiser. She is also a member of the Wentworth tennis team and the President’s Host Society. Last year Olivia almost single-handedly helped raise $13,000 from a variety of sources in order to publish the fourth edition of WAr. She also continues to excel in her architectural studies, devoting her time to producing excellent design work in studio.

Hegner spent this summer as a co-op at one of the city's leading design firms, Cambridge Seven Associates.

What did you enjoy most about your program at Wentworth?

I think it shaped me both as a designer and as a person. [Architecture at Wentworth] teaches students not only how to design, but also how to communicate ideas both visually and verbally. It emphasizes the importance of carrying a sense of professionalism throughout our studies and prepares us to interact with professionals while out on co-op. I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I think it was a great program and am excited to continue into the Master’s program this Fall.

What are your plans after you earn your master’s degree?

There is so much to learn in the design world. I look forward to finding a job in an architecture firm where I can contribute my skills and continue to build my knowledge of our built environment and the people who interact with it.  I’ve had really enjoyable co-ops and have met wonderful people along the way, leaving me hopeful for the future.

What was the most rewarding experience you had while being at Wentworth?

I’ve had a really great experience here overall. All the faculty members are awesome and all of the staff at Wentworth are really inviting. The opportunity to go on co-op was, in my eyes, rewarding because we were able to take what we learned in the classroom and apply it to the real world. After my co-op experience, I looked at school differently and felt a noticeable increase in my passion for design.

You were heavily involved in raising nearly $13,000 for WAr. What was that experience like?

WAr is an annual publication that is produced by a team of architecture students. It showcases student, faculty, and design professional work that is best representative of the topic at hand. It is not fully endorsed by one single department on campus so it takes a little extra effort to fundraise the money needed for each volume. It is a long process but extremely worthwhile as it becomes an overall representation of the design culture here at Wentworth.