WIT Student Employment

Don't miss the 1415 Work Study Job Fair

Looking for a work study position?  Meet with departments looking to hire work study students on 

Tuesday, September 9th from 3 PM to 5 PM in Beatty Hall.

Bring your IDs (passport or driver's license and social security card) and complete your REQUIRED paperwork.

Student Employment Programs


The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program is jointly funded by Wentworth and the federal government. The program is designed to give students access to employment that will help them meet living expenses such as books, supplies and transportation. To receive a FWS award, a student must file their FAFSA and demonstrate financial need according to federal guidelines. They must also be enrolled at least half-time in a degree program, maintain satisfactory academic progress and be either a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen. WIT WorkStudy follows all of the same guidelines and policies as FWS and is need-based as well.

If you have been awarded Work-Study, it will appear on your E-Award located on LeopardWeb.


The Leopard Work Program (LWP) is solely funded by Wentworth Institute of Technology. Financial need is not a determining factor for the eligibility of this program. During the first month of the fall semester, the Financial Aid staff attempts to assist FWS students in locating on-campus positions because FWS is awarded based on financial need. After the first month of school, any student who would like to work on-campus through LWP may seek employment. The departments that are in exception to this and can hire LWP students right away are Residential Life, Annual Fund, Center for Community and Learning Partnerships, and the Center for Teaching and Learning.

To be eligible for LWP, a student must be enrolled at least half-time in a degree program, maintain satisfactory academic progress and be either a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen.

Getting Authorized to Work

In order to be paid for work-study, you must complete an I-9 Form and a W-4 Form in the Student Service Center. If you are hired for Leopard Work, you will need a Leapard Work Authorization Form that will need to be signed by your department supervisor.

Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Certification)

If you are a new student at Wentworth or have not worked on campus before, you must bring ORIGINAL documentation of both identity AND employment eligibility in order to verify your right to work in the United States to the Student Service Center at the time you sign-up for a job.

Documentation of identity is most often a driver’s license, Wentworth ID or any other picture ID. Verification of employment eligibility is usually a social security card or birth certificate. A valid U.S. passport will also fill both these requirements. If you do not have any of these documents, page 5 of the I-9 has a list of acceptable documents.


Form W-4

All students must complete a Federal Tax Withholding Form (W-4). This document is used by the payroll office to determine how much federal taxes (if any) to withhold from your earnings. You should complete the W-4 with your permanent address, not your Wentworth address.

Your Work Study Award and Work Schedule

The dollar amount of your FWS award indicated on the Financial Aid Award Notice is your “maximum earnings level.” This is the most that you may earn through FWS for the entire academic year. To determine how many hours to work per week, you will need to take three things into account:

1.Your “maximum earnings level” for the year;

2.The number of work hours available, as determined by your supervisor;

3.Your course load — you should be sure that you will have adequate time for studying.

Arrange your work schedule to insure that you will utilize all of your allocation over the course of the academic year. If you work too many hours during the first semester, you may have to stop working prior to the end of the second semester or reduce your hours. If you do not work enough hours, you will forfeit part of your award. FWS awards do not carry over to the next academic year.

Getting Paid

On your last day of work for the week, you should complete and sign your timesheet. It will then be verified and submitted to the Payroll Office by your employer. Students may not submit their own timesheets. Your pay stub will indicate how much of your award balance remains. You and your supervisor should monitor the award balance. You must cease working when you have earned all of your FWS award. Tampering with timesheets in any manner is considered fraud. Individuals found guilty of altering timesheets will be removed immediately from the FWS position and face suspension from the Institute. In addition, altering timesheets is considered a federal offense. If you purposely give false or misleading information, you may be fined $10,000 and/or face imprisonment.

Direct deposit into your checking or savings account is encouraged. Please contact the Student Service Center for details.

Student Employee Direct Deposit Form


In order to be paid, all documentation must be complete. This includes your:

• Authorization form (If job requires it)

• I-9 form

• W-4 form

• Timesheet

Community Service

Wentworth must use a portion of its Federal Work-Study funds to employ students in community service jobs. Some of these jobs will be in off-campus agencies. Please contact the Center for Community & Learning Partnerships at 617-989-4992 or visit the CLP website for more information.

Job Expectations

As a student, you have certain responsibilities as a Wentworth employee. You should:

1. Report to work promptly

2. Notify your supervisor if you will be late or unable to work.

3. Submit a timesheet to your supervisor each week with hours that you’ve worked.

4. Perform your job responsibilities to the best of your ability.

5. Take your job seriously. The work experience is valuable.

Failure to perform satisfactorily on the job will result in an employment review and can lead to dismissal from your position. If you violate Wentworth regulations or state or federal laws, you will be subject to disciplinary action as outlined in the Student Handbook. If dismissed from a job, you have the right to appeal. A written statement must be made to your employer within five business days of the dismissal. The employer must respond within five business days of the appeal.

A FWS position holds the same responsibilities as any off-campus employment position. The SSC may cancel a student’s FWS if he/she is terminated from employment for failure to perform satisfactorily on the job. A student who has his/her FWS canceled for failure to perform satisfactorily on the job will be ineligible for FWS employment at any department for the rest of the academic year.


If you have any problems or any questions about work opportunities on campus, contact the Student Service Center at 617-989-4020 or 1-800-222-9368 or ssc@wit.edu.

© Wentworth Institute of Technology   |   550 Huntington Avenue   |   Boston, MA 02115   |   617-989-4590