How Do I Take a Science Course At Another Institution?

Permission should be received prior to taking a science course at another institution.  Before you begin, please be aware that you may only petition to take a first or second year course at another institution if you have not failed the course at Wentworth. 

Step 1: Find an Equivalent Course
First, find a course at another institute that matches the description of the Wentworth course you wish to take elsewhere. The course description must come from a current catalog from the institution where the course is to be taken and should include the number of credits.  In some cases you will also need to obtain a copy of the course syllabus. 

Step 2: Submit Paperwork
Next, fill out a Petition for Course Substitution Form.  Submit (1) the complete form along with (2) the course description and (3) a syllabus (if substituting for Engineering Chemistry or Engineering Physics I and II) to Maureen Greenwood at  You can also drop off your forms in Ira Allen 323 or 317.  The department chair of Sciences determines if the course content and credit hours are equivalent and then approves or denies the petition.  Students are notified of the status of their forms by email within a week or earlier and reminded that in order to receive credit for a course, you must:

  1. Earn a final grade of "C" or better in the course


  2. Have your official sealed transcript sent to:

    Transfer Credit Coordinator
    Student Service Center
    Wentworth Institute of Technology
    550 Huntington Avenue
    Boston, MA 02115

© Wentworth Institute of Technology   |   550 Huntington Avenue   |   Boston, MA 02115   |   617-989-4590