February 07, 2014
Spring Diversity Link Institute
The Diversity Link Institute would once again, like to invite a small cohort of faculty and staff to engage in conversation around issues of diversity and inclusion as it relates to the roles of educators and administrators. The goal is to encourage deeper connections with the topics of diversity and inclusion, as well as with each other, to better position our students for success within a multicultural environment.
- increase ability to manage classroom/campus experience for all students
- identify strategies to promote an inclusive environment
- identify strategies to respond to incidents in the classroom or office, or around campus
- small cohort allows for engagement and relationship building
- sessions are designed to be interactive, personal, and experiential
- three 90 minute sessions: February 25, March 4, March 18 (Tuesdays, 4:00 p.m.)
Session 1 – February 25
- Review relevant institutional data: campus climate, demographic, faculty/staff needs assessment
- What is diversity?
Session 2 – March 4
- Diverse panel of faculty, staff, and students share their observations and experiences related to inclusion on campus
- Focus will be given to issues of race, gender, and sexual orientation, all of which have been identified by faculty and staff, and students, as being challenges to an inclusive community.
Session 3 – March 18
- Explore scenarios/case studies
- Review strategies to respond to individuals/incidents that disturb the inclusive environment
- Develop proactive strategies to promote an inclusive environment
Faculty and staff may register for the Diversity Link Institute by emailing Assistant Professor Nadine Stecher (email@example.com) by Tuesday, February 18, 2014. Please include your name, position/title, and department in the email.
The Diversity Link Institute has been developed in response to faculty and staff interest in building relationships with colleagues and engaging in deep conversations on diversity and inclusion (Faculty/Staff Needs Assessment, Fall 2011).
Questions regarding the Diversity Link Institute may be directed to Nadine Stecher (Science Department) or Jen Casavant (Housing & Residential Life). The Diversity Link Institute is sponsored by the Student Experience Diversity Committee.