Mechanical Engineering Program
Mission of the Program
The Mechanical Engineering program balances theory, simulation and laboratory exercises needed to model, analyze, design, and realize physical systems, components, and processes. Key elements of this program include a curriculum with open-ended team-based design problems including interdisciplinary collaborations.The cornerstone of a Wentworth education is hands-on experience, which means BSME students spend a great deal of time working in our state-of-the-art laboratories. The strength of the program culminates in its laboratory-based curriculum coupled with two cooperative work experiences to foster a state-of-the-art learning environment. Students gain the educational background necessary to pursue a professional career, including professional license registration and advanced degrees.
The Mechanical Engineering program integrates applied engineering design and extensive use of industry relevant software with a faculty committed to a curriculum that parallels industrial challenges and changes. Students use computers and test equipment extensively to verify and develop principles of engineering in diverse areas such as statistics, thermodynamics, material science, data acquisition, structural analysis, and machine design. The curriculum provides students with a balanced foundation of mathematics, science, engineering principles, and incorporates the humanities and social sciences.
Graduates are prepared for traditional industries of mechanism design and power generation as well as emerging opportunities including the development of biomedical and electromechanical devices.
Mechanical Engineering Program Objectives
The long term objectives of the program are to ensure graduates succeed in their chosen field through the following:
- Contribute significantly in the design and development of complex systems within the field of engineering.
- Work effectively as members of multidisciplinary teams that analyze data critically, synthesize information and implement ethical solutions for the betterment of society.
- Prepare and present technical information professionally to various audiences.
- Further their education either through directed or independent studies to advance them personally and professionally.
Mechanical Engineering Program Outcomes
As an extension of the Institute’s philosophy, the program’s mission is to admit qualified high school graduates and prepare them for a productive professional career in Mechanical engineering. To fulfill this goal, the program offers students a rigorous mathematically-based engineering education with a balanced laboratory experience that provides the technical knowledge and problem-solving skills needed for them to grow as intellectually inquisitive individuals and critically involved members of our society with a lifelong commitment to continued learning.
We expect our graduates upon graduation to have:
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- an ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- an ability to communicate effectively
- the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
- a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- a knowledge of contemporary issues
- an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
The Mechanical Engineering program at Wentworth is committed to a collaborative teaching model supported by its Industrial Program Advisory Committee providing the students access to many innovative educational opportunities.