Magazines publish articles on topics of popular interest and current events. The articles are written by journalists and are for the general public.
Magazines, like journals and newspapers, are called periodicals because they are published at regular intervals throughout the year. You can find print magazines at newsstands and in libraries. Most are now available on the Web as electronic magazines.
Use a Magazine...
- to find information or opinions about popular culture.
- to find up-to-date information about current events.
- to find general articles written for people who are not necessarily specialists in the topic area.
- U.S. News and World Report
- Business Week
- Advertising Age (a trade magazine)
If you are still unsure about the difference between magazines and journals, click here for an Alumni Library handout that compares the two.