Encyclopedias contain factual articles on many subjects. Although encyclopedias may have been a major source for research in high school, in college you'll use sources that contain more depth.
There are two types of encyclopedias--general and subject.
General encyclopedias provide overviews on a wide variety of topics.
Subject encyclopedias contain entries focusing on one field of study.
At Alumni Library, encyclopedias are available in print or electronic format.
Use an Encyclopedia...
- when looking for background information on a topic.
- when trying to find key ideas, important dates or concepts.
- Encyclopedia Americana (general encyclopedia)
- Encyclopedia of Architectural and Engineering Feats (subject encyclopedia)
- The Encyclopedia Britannica Online (an online general encyclopedia)