News and Events
Minor in Media, Culture, and Communications Studies (MCCS)
This minor is aimed at providing a focus for students who, while completing their Humanities and Social Sciences electives, are interested in exploring the role of the digital technologies in the study of contemporary culture.
MCCS Learning Outcomes and Objectives:
•Project-based experiential learning
•Facility with interactive digital learning tools and media
•Familiarity with current and emerging technologies in media and culture
•Media literacy from written, production, and analytical perspectives
•Close reading and textual analysis
•Critical thinking and persuasive writing
To earn the Minor in Media, Culture, and Communications Studies, students must select from the following courses, as listed below, earning a grade of "C" or better.
2 Core Media, Culture, and Communications Courses:
- HUMN 417: Media, Culture and Communications
- HUMN 427: MCCS Studio
Core Total Credits: 8
Choose 3 Humanities/Social Science Elective courses from the following:
- COMM155: Oral Communications
- COMM330: Introduction to Mass Communications
- COMM580: Society and Visual Media
- COMM610: Public Relations Writing
- HUMN402: Shakespeare on Film
- HUMN403: History of American Folk Music
- HUMN425: Introduction to Theatre & Scenic Design
- HUMN430: History of Motion Pictures
- HUMN436: Graphic Novel to Film
- HUMN437: American Cinema & Culture
- HUMN440: TV Studies
- HUMN460: Contemporary Art & Theory
- HUMN496: Film and Literature: Art of Adaptation
- LITR460: Science Fiction & Fantasy
- SOCL412: Art & Technology
- SOCL406: Special Topics in Sociology
- HUMN407: Special Topics in Humanities , e.g., Toys are US: American at Play; Religion, Media, and Culture
Additional selections will be added as new courses are developed in the MCCS program.
Depending upon courses selected for the minor, student will still be required to complete the Social Science/Humanities distribution requirement.
Elective Total Credits: 12
For the latest and updated information regarding the MCCS program, please visit our website.