January 08, 2014

Co-op Helps Shape New Residence Hall

Brenna Mizuno (right) helps decide on fabrics for the GrandMarc

Brenna Mizuno, Interior Design, 2014

Co-op Employer:  Dimella-Shaffer

Co-op Position:  Interior Intern

Hometown:  Taunton, MA

Brenna Mizuno, Interior Design ’14, has extra reason to look forward to walking through the finished halls of the GrandMarc (Northeastern University’s newest residence hall). It was Mizuno who helped pick out the paint, carpeting, and fabric for the building.  Through her co-op at Dimella-Shaffer, Mizuno played an integral role in designing the interior of the GrandMarc, which will house 720 students when it opens in January 2015.

“I can’t wait to go back to Northeastern and see the finished product,” said Mizuno. “Seeing what my work ended up becoming is very rewarding.”

As an interior intern, Mizuno worked for the head of interiors, helping her with drawings and picking out various samples. Outside of the GrandMarc project, she worked on buildings at other universities, including Harvard, and has done work in New York, as well.

Mizuno found her co-op somewhat unconventionally, by researching various firms herself, to which she contributes much of her success.

“[Dimella-Shaffer is] a great place to work and I’ve gotten close to everyone here,” said Mizuno.

She hopes to parlay her experience with dormitory design into commercial and hotel work after she graduates.

“I would love to come back to Dimella-Shaffer full time and do much of what I am doing now,” said Mizuno. “And after that, I plan to start my own interior design firm.”