August 15, 2013

Graduate Feature: Travis Lombardi

Travis Lombardi

Architecture

What did you enjoy most about your program?

What I’ve enjoyed most about architecture is the atmosphere. The collaboration between varieties of people with a shared passion makes for an exciting place to be.

What was your most memorable college experience?

My most memorable college experience would have to be winning an ECAC championship and going 11-0 at home on Sweeney field with the soccer team. Putting up a banner in the gym is something that will not only stick with me over the years but with Wentworth as well.

What’s the most important thing you learned at Wentworth – what’s your biggest takeaway?

One of the biggest takeaways I’ve gotten from Wentworth would be the push to be innovative. As an individual you have the ability and desire to create something new and dynamic. The professors are incredibly supportive and encourage a sense of forward thinking, which in turn makes you animated about your own work and what it may become. 

What did you like best about co-op, where did you do it, what was your position?

My most recent co-op was completed at Steffian Bradley Architects, an architecture firm in Boston that works with clients in the health care, education, residential, senior living, corporate, and commercial markets. My role as an intern architect involved supporting the project team with whatever they needed. This included red lining CD sets, sketching fit tests, on-site analysis and documentation, CAD/Revit drafting, code research, phasing design, and final drawing preparations. What I enjoyed most about this co-op was the ability to experience the reality of my profession. I was involved in almost every stage of designing and was able to contribute my skills at each level. Also the opportunity to form relationships with professionals in the industry was something highly beneficial that I will carry throughout my career. 

What are your future plans?

I will be returning to Wentworth in the fall to pursue a Master’s degree in Architecture as I continue to work part-time at SBA (Steffian Bradley Architects). Afterwards I aim to build my career as an architect in the Boston area and begin preparing for licensure. 

What’s your favorite part of going to school in Boston?

The best part about going to school in Boston is the plethora of activities. There’s always something going on and something new to experience. There's also a lot of really great food everywhere. 

What’s your reaction to graduating from college?

Realizing that I’m graduating college is a bit surreal right now; it’s tough to see it come to an end, but I’m excited to see what is going to come next. 

Click here to read more graduate profiles.