August 15, 2013

Graduate Feature: Brandon Fernald

Brandon Fernald

Project Management

What did you enjoy most about your program?

Enrolling in the College of Professional and Continuing Education’s (CPCE) Project Management program was really a no brainer for me. The flexibility built into the program and with the courses being taught by industry professionals, who taught from the industry perspective, highlighted and gave credence to the writings of the text. This was integral in learning the inner workings of a profession such as project management. Each class we went through was geared toward what you would encounter in the industry, because every day the professors encountered the same as they progressed through their careers. Having such first-hand knowledge, the professors were always willing to talk about “real life” experiences and this helped to solidify the teachings.

What was your most memorable college experience?

My most memorable experience at Wentworth was when I stood up in front of over 200 people, including my wife, to receive my Tau Alpha Pi award during my senior year. As many of you know, this is an honor society recognizing significant academic achievement. There was a time that I never thought I would ever attain a degree and there I was being recognized for not only pursuing a degree, but doing so with honors. Wentworth provided me with a platform to launch from. Without that, I don’t think I could’ve accomplished what I have.

What’s the most important thing you learned at Wentworth – what’s your biggest takeaway?

I think confidence, not only in myself, but also in others was my biggest takeaway. I know everyone has it, but not everyone knows how to utilize it, and that was me. Here at Wentworth, especially in the CPCE program, you sit next to industry professionals in every class. In most college settings you sit in class, listen and then leave, without speaking to anyone. In our classes you learn that others share your goals, experiences and disappointments. You share these work experiences and personal experiences and take the lessons of each and incorporate them into your work. This builds confidence, however small that it may be, and allows you to feel comfortable when you encounter difficult situations.

What are your future plans?

After graduation I will continue in my employment as a manager of an undergraduate dormitory at Harvard University. I am continually looking at my graduate school options as I now have the confidence in my academic abilities and I am finding a greater desire as each day passes to continue on to something better. Ideally, in September of 2014 I will be back at Wentworth to continue on in one of the master’s programs that are offered.

What’s your favorite part of going to school in Boston?

From a student perspective, you couldn’t ask for a better environment to learn in. When you have the ability to look out of the windows of the classroom and be able to emphasize the points of the lecture, with all of the ongoing construction, you know you have it good. For a project management student, you couldn’t ask for a better environment to graduate in. The changes that this city has undergone, is currently undergoing, and the future growth that is being discussed, is such a crucial asset to the teachings and academic environment here at Wentworth.

What’s your reaction to graduating from college?

I did it! No really, that is the biggest feeling that I have. There was a time that I didn’t know if I would ever finish college and now that I am done, I am kind of in awe. During the program you get a small sense of accomplishment as you check off each class as you finish them. Now that I am done, there is a huge sense of accomplishment that really has begun to resonate inside of me. I know that I have completed something that once seemed to be elusive and having done that makes me really proud of my accomplishment.

Additional thoughts/reflections/perspective?

Having enrolled at Wentworth in January of 2007, receiving my associate degree in 2011 and now my bachelor’s degree in 2013, I can truly speak to the significant changes that I have seen in the programs here at Wentworth. As each year ticked by, I could see how the program got better and better. The faculty and staff really worked to create a niche in the marketplace that served working men and women who wanted to attend college. Having the ability to enroll in the CPCE program and receive your bachelor’s degree in less than 24 months is amazing, especially knowing that the quality of education that you receive is second to none.

Click here to read more graduate profiles.