August 01, 2013

Up in the Cloud

Liam Stokinger

Liam Stokinger, Applied Mathematics, 2015

Co-op Employer:  Eustace Consulting

Co-op Position:  Development Intern

Hometown:  Whitman, MA

For Liam Stokinger, math is more than simply equations; it is a real-life puzzle waiting to be solved. “The most rewarding thing (about math) is working on something for a couple hours, or even a couple of days, that just isn’t working right,” said Stokinger, Applied Mathematics ’15. “When I finally get it to work, it’s a gratifying feeling, knowing I accomplished something I wouldn’t have been able to do a month ago.”

This strong interest in math and solving problems is valuable to Stokinger in his co-op with Eustace, a consultant group specializing in customer relationship management solutions. Eustace has a specialty working with enterprise cloud computing applications from Salesforce.com. Each company that uses Salesforce.com has different needs to be met, which Stokinger implements for them.

“There’s just so many ways to solve problems,” Stokinger said. “I’m lucky enough to go into work and learn really good coding practices. I get to see how a professional does it so that it’s easily accessible and easily changeable in the future.”

While Stokinger has learned much outside of the classroom, he credits Wentworth with giving him the foundation to do his job at Eustace.

As part of his studies, Stokinger learned basic coding skills - an example of applied math - which he has expanded on throughout his time at Eustace.

“(Applied math is) math that can be applied to economics, finance, or computers, for example. My advisor made it a big point that we learn Python (a programming language), and we get well-versed in Excel, and all of that has really been helpful in my job,” Stokinger said. “Everyone at Wentworth seems to be interested in preparing us for the real world more than anything.”

Stokinger plans to work part-time with Eustace when he returns to classes, and he hopes to do more co-ops there in the future, and eventually work at the company full-time after he graduates.