November 08, 2012

From Downtown to Desert

Sam Altieri, MARC ’13, found her muse in Big Bend this summer.

Altieri, who has been snapping photos since her freshman year, took more than 2,300 photos during a architecture class trip this summer. Led by Professor Rob Trumbour, Altieri and 11 other students travelled to New York City for three days to talk with design firms, followed by a trip west to Big Bend National Park in Texas for seven days to study the vast landscape and use it for inspiration for their work this semester.

“I wanted to bring students to a place where it is very remote and you’re engulfed by a big landscape, said Trumbour. “The work that follows is in response to that experience.”

Now that the students are back in Boston, they have begun designing an installation which they hope will reflect their experiences in the desert, with an aim to evoke a visceral response in visitors. They will install the project on the exterior of the Boston Society of Architects (BSA) building in downtown Boston, near the Congress Street Bridge this December.

For Altieri, it will be another physical memory to add to the thousands she has already collected. “In Big Bend, I realized how aware I was of everything around me and I wanted to capture it so I could bring it back and relive the experience through photos,” said Altieri.