June 15, 2012

Home Work

Justin Stahler, BCMT ’13, didn’t have to travel far to get to his last co-op. As part of the Shawmut Design and Construction team responsible for the two-phase project to renovate the Wentworth’s Flanagan Campus Center, Stahler’s commute was just a cross-campus stroll.

“This co-op has given me the opportunity to take what I have learned in the classroom and apply it to real life experiences,” says Stahler. “Despite how busy everyone was, the individuals I worked closely with from Shawmut took the time to share with me their infinite wisdom.”

On the Flanagan project, Stahler worked directly with Shawmut’s project manager and was responsible for onsite safety management, process submittals, and assisting the project manager prepare for weekly meetings with senior management and the project architects. Stahler also used two different software programs crucial for construction management, one for editing blueprints and the other for processing submittals and requests for information. “This unique experience helped grow my confidence and solidified my desire to work in this field.”