August 18, 2011

Graduate Profile Allison Reid

Headshot of AllisonFacilities Planning and Management

What did you enjoy most about your program?
The relationships that I have made through the program have provided the most enjoyable experiences for me. The facilities management program puts a very strong emphasis on learning outside of the classroom and developing connections with various professionals and organizations in the industry. I have had the pleasure of meeting some of the most talented and influential people in the profession through my involvement both inside and outside of the classroom. I am leaving Wentworth with a strong network of professionals from all over the world.

What was your most memorable college experience?
The FM program is made up of a very close-knit group of people. Since there are less than 30 of us, we had almost every class together. We experienced interior design studio together as underclassmen and spent a countless number of hours together in the library. (Seriously, I’m not just saying that). In the classroom we laughed and learned with Professor Richard Christiano as he taught us how to be successful in a fast-paced industry.

My most memorable experiences outside of the classroom have been at the International Facilities Management Association (IFMA) annual conferences. I had the opportunity to attend IFMA’s World Workplace Conference during both my junior and senior years. I learned a lot through attending advanced educational sessions and I was able to meet people from all over the world. During my senior year I was chosen as an IFMA Foundation Scholarship recipient and received the award during the conference in front of hundreds of the most influential people in the industry. The connections that I made at these conferences will last a lifetime.

What’s the most important thing you learned at Wentworth – what’s your biggest takeaway?
The most valuable lesson I have learned throughout the past four years is the importance of finding and maintaining a balance. Professional success requires a lot of time and hard work. Prior to my time at Wentworth I don’t think I understood what the word pressure really meant. Through studying at Wentworth, I have effectively learned how to handle high stress situations and work efficiently under pressure. However, my ability to succeed professionally will only be enjoyable if I maintain the proper balance between work and play and if I have the right people in my life to share it all with.