August 18, 2011

Graduate Profile Marie Powers

Headshot of MarieManagement

What did you enjoy most about your program?
I really enjoyed how everything we did had a real-world basis to it. Everything I learned was practical and a stepping stone to a great career.   

What was your most memorable college experience?
My most memorable experience, hands down, was working with the orientation staff for three years. Every year was a great time and I made a lot of friends doing it.

What’s the most important thing you learned at Wentworth – what’s your biggest takeaway?
The most important thing I learned at Wentworth was leadership skills. I graduated from the Soar in Four program which is a four-course program all about becoming a leader. The skills I learned helped me both in the classroom, while on co-op, and in various other positions I have held on and off campus.  

What did you like best about co-op, where did you do it, what was your position?
For my two required co-ops I worked as an assistant property manager with a small firm on Beacon Hill, called Marston Beacon Hill. I really enjoyed all the responsibility I was given. Every day there was something different for me to work on, as well as opportunities to take on projects.  

What are your future plans?
Ideally, I would love to become an event or project planner, planning functions for companies or resorts.  I am also looking to go into the marketing field. 

What’s your reaction to graduating from college?
Bittersweet!  I am excited that I will finally have a degree I have worked four hard years to earn, but at the same time, I have had so much fun, so it is a little sad to see it coming to an end.