August 18, 2011

Graduate Profile Frank Fodera

Headshot of FrankComputer Science

What did you enjoy most about your program?
Wentworth’s program in computer science had many great qualities, but one of the greatest benefits of this program was its class size. The computer science department is a rather small department and because of this, professors can truly develop a relationship with each student.

What was your most memorable college experience?
My most memorable college experience was the co-op program. Giving students the chance to get hands-on experience in their field of study is one of the best preparatory devices for the future ahead. Having this rewarding experience has allowed me to use the knowledge and skills that I learned in the classroom, and develop them in my field of study.

What’s the most important thing you learned at Wentworth – what’s your biggest takeaway?
The greatest skill that I learned was the ability to effectively problem solve. Wentworth’s program in computer science is highly based on the ability to analyze problems and logically solve them in the most efficient way possible.

What did you like best about co-op, where did you do it, what was your position?
I started at Kaspersky as a technical support engineer. I then continued my next two co-ops at Teradyne as a software engineer. What I liked best about co-op was that it allowed me to experience the different aspects of computer science. Computer science is a very large field of study; thus, determining what the best field in computer science is for you is very important, but also very difficult. My co-op experience has prepared me for that difficult decision and has put me ahead of other graduates who weren't as lucky to have such an experience.

What are your future plans?
In the future, I desire to work for a video game company so that I can continue to learn the field I love and gain as much knowledge as possible. It is my ultimate goal to open my own video game company in the North Shore area of Massachusetts.

What’s your reaction to graduating from college?
In the past four years, I have dedicated countless hours to studying, preparing, organizing, and developing ideas for my classes. Although I can’t imagine life away from college, I am nonetheless extremely excited about graduating. Wentworth has provided me with the experience, tools, and knowledge that I need to be successful and I look forward to using those skills in my profession.