December 21, 2010

IFMA World Workplace Scholarship Winner

Allison Reid (fifth from left) and Facilities Planning and Management students and Design and Facilities department head at IFMA World Workplace

"My studies in facilities planning and management have given me a broad exposure to the building industry and the career paths it has to offer."

Recognized for her academic achievements and participation in professional activities as part of Wentworth’s International Facility Management Association (IFMA) student chapter, senior Facilities Planning and Management student Allison Reid received the 2010 IFMA Foundation Scholarship from the Philadelphia Chapter at IFMA’s annual conference and exposition, World Workplace. 

As part of the scholarship, Reid received a $4,000 award and an all-expenses-paid trip to the conference in Atlanta. She and six other junior and senior facilities management students−Jeannine Stover, Kaitlin McCarthy, Jordan Taras, Marlene Salama, Natalie Lessard, and Thomas Bourgeois−attended the conference, participating in seminars, lectures, and related events. Design & Facilities Department Head Suzanne Kennedy, CFM, and Assistant Professor Richard Christiano, CFM, accompanied the students.

“Each IFMA experience that I have brings me a new appreciation for the value of the organization,” said Reid. “My favorite part of this conference is the networking opportunities. I was able to meet potential employers and trade specialists from all around the world. It is because of the World Workplace Conference that I have developed a strong network that reaches from Boston, to San Diego, to London.”

Reid is currently completing her third co-op with AECOM, working as an intern in Global Real Estate and Procurement at their corporate headquarters in downtown Los Angeles. She has been performing financial analysis on newly acquired properties so that the Global Real Estate and Finance and Accounting teams can make informed decisions on how to integrate this new real estate into the existing portfolio. She is highly involved in the integration of AECOM’s Integrated Workplace Management System, and works on several other projects, including a small build-out process.

Reid is passionate about facilities planning and management and is fascinated by how people react to their surroundings. “My studies in facilities planning and management have given me a broad exposure to the building industry and the career paths it has to offer. I have come to the realization that I can make the most difference in assisting corporations with integrating facility management best practices and real estate principles into the corporate mission to achieve a high level of social and environmental responsibility.”

Currently, Reid is the president of the Student Association of Facility Managers and has been an IFMA member since 2008. She will graduate in the summer of 2011.