August 24, 2010

Co-op Experience: Meghan Puente

Meghan Puente's Energizer Experience

"One of the best things about working for Energizer was learning how to manage people."

Mechanical Engineering Technology (BMET) '11
Co-op Employer: Energizer
Position: Mechanical Engineering Co-op

Starts off Strong

For her first co-op, Meghan Puente, BMET '11, applied to companies all over the country and decided on Energizer in Maryville, Missouri. After working there for a semester, Puente has discovered a passion for manufacturing and has also gained a better understanding of the various career opportunities available to her.

Puente worked on a variety of challenging projects at Energizer, ranging from creating new tools, to installing a recycling system, to changing machinery to reduce operator downtime. She was given a lot of responsibility and hit the ground running, working on substantial projects immediately. Puente was responsible for creating purchase requisitions, working with suppliers and vendors, assigning and managing mechanics and contractors, and drafting parts and components using AutoCAD and AutoDesk Inventor.

"My role as an engineering co-op was no different than the other engineers at the plant, which gave me the necessary experience and confidence."

Keeps Going...

Puente was fully responsible for the execution of her projects, which sharpened her management skills. Rather than simply handing off a drawing, she often went onto the floor and explained the complete process, especially if multiple people were going to be working on a single project. Leadership skills were vital.

"One of the best things about working for Energizer was learning how to manage people. Because my co-op focused on project management rather than pure design, I collaborated with contractors and mechanics to install and fabricate my parts and components."

And Going...

Puente feels confident in her desire to continue working in manufacturing and enhance her project management experience. After completing her co-op, she is excited to take what she has learned and apply it to the next phase of her life.

"After working on nine projects at once at Energizer, I feel I can better coordinate how to complete school work and I feel more efficient in understanding how to use teammates' strengths in group projects."