News and Events
Facility Planning & Management Program
Mission and Overview
The mission of the Facility Planning & Management program is to offer instruction for the novice which reflects the integrated nature of today’s built environment. The program is designed to prepare students for careers as entry-level facility management professionals. The program aims to develop in its students recognized management skills along with knowledge concerning current technologies necessary for entry-level professional practice. Facility Management practice can be regarded as the management of a company’s or institution’s physical assets. The management of these assets involves long-term, as well as short-term, planning for physical facilities and real properties that integrates the organization’s strategic business plan and the technical components for that plant. The quality of work life and cost effectiveness of the organization’s environment are the goals of the facilities manager. Our students are instructed in design, building technologies, business, and management principles to manage these complex built environments.
Facility managers are involved in the short- and long-term planning that coordinates the physical workplace with the people and the work produced by an organization. They meet this challenge by integrating the principles of architecture, interior design, engineering, business and the behavioral sciences.
As a student in our facility planning and management program, you will participate in the only program of its kind in the Northeast. You'll develop management skills and gain a working knowledge of current facilities management technologies. Studies include introduction to a range of topics, including space utilization, development and planning, energy management, facility assessment, and forecasting. The Facility Planning & Management program includes two co-op work semesters.
Wentworth's Facilities Planning & Management program is accredited by IFMA, the International Facilities Management Association as one of only seven degree programs in the world that meets industry standards for professional education in facilities management.
Wentworth Institute of Technology has received specialized accreditation for its business programs through the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE) located at 11374 Strang Line Road in Lenexa, Kansas, USA. The business programs in the following degrees are accredited by the IACBE:
Department of Business Management and Facility Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Management
- Bachelor of Science in Facility Planning and Management
As a graduate you'll be qualified for employment with private institutions, private corporations, as well as federal and state governments.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of the fundamental principles in business and management together with knowledge concerning current technologies necessary for entry-level facility planning professional practice.
- Students will apply quantitative decision-support tools and knowledge of the fundamental aspects of the built environment to completing fundamental facilities planning decisions.
- Students will formulate the team of FM professionals needed to deliver quality building services and explain the critical role the facility manager provides in operations for the organization. .
- Students will apply ethical principles, including correct regulatory codes, to facility planning decisions.
- Students will demonstrate effective professional communication skills.
- Students will integrate learning to address real world problems in facility planning.