Emergency Terms & Definitions
Being Ready for an Emergency
Emergencies can happen at any time and often when we least expect them. Having basic knowledge of how to best protect yourself during an emergency will better prepare you to remain calm and do what is necessary to stay as safe as possible. Use the links below to review and understand terms used and skills needed for emergency situations:
- Secure-in-Place (also known as Lock Down): Know how and when to secure-in-place.
- Shelter-in-Place (also known as Stay-in-Place): Know how and when to shelter-in-place.
- Evacuation: Be familiar with the necessary steps involved with evacuation.
- All Clear (also known as Return to Normal): Once the crisis or emergency situation has ended, be familiar the necessary steps that may immediately follow.
- Severe Weather Watch: Conditions are favorable for the development of severe weather. Closely monitor the situation in case it gets worse.
- Severe Weather Warning: Severe weather has actually been observed. Pay close attention to instructions provide by weather radios/emergency officials/RAVE notification.