- GNU Bourne-Again Shell (Bash) ‘Shellshock’ Vulnerability (CVE-2014-6271, CVE-2014-7169, CVE-2014-7186, CVE-2014-7187, CVE-2014-6277 and CVE 2014-6278)
- Backoff Point-of-Sale Malware
- GameOver Zeus P2P Malware
- OpenSSL 'Heartbleed' vulnerability (CVE-2014-0160)
- Review your credit reports routinely
- Don't buy anything from a spammer
- Use common sense when reviewing your email
- Five Security Tips
Higher Education Opportunity Act
The Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) of 2008 was enacted to make changes and reauthorize the Higher Education Act of 1965. Among the updates new regulations on the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) services on campus networks for the purposes of sharing copyrighted materials. There are three requirements within the legislation that are related to the anti-infringement component.
- Provide an annual disclosure to students informing them of the liability of unauthorized distribution of copyrighted material, the penalties for violating Federal copyright law, and institutional policies on disciplinary actions for violating these rules.
- A plan for restricting the unauthorized sharing of copyrighted materials over the campus network.
- A plan for offering legal avenues for obtaining copyrighted materials.
For more information, please visit Educause’s page on HEOA.