Junior, 5th Year BELM Student, Co-Op or Readmitted Student Refresh
August 10, 2012
As an incoming Junior, 5th Year BELM Student, Co-Op or Readmitted student, your laptop computer refresh will happen on Tuesday, September 4, 2012, from 9:00AM to 5:30PM in the Tansey Gymnasium.
We remind you that classes will be in session and you need to make every effort to attend class. You will not be excused from class to pick-up your laptop; we have expanded the laptop refresh hours, and you do not need to skip class to pick up your laptop. Please bring your Wentworth student identification card with you. We cannot issue you a laptop without your student identification card.
If you do not have your laptop refreshed on September 4, 2012, the next opportunity to do so will begin on Wednesday, September 5, 2012, from 9:00AM to 3:30PM at the DTS Help Desk, room 320 Beatty Hall (note change of location).
Beginning September 7, 2012, you will need to make an appointment to refresh your laptop by calling the Division of Technology Services Help Desk, Beatty Hall, Room 320 at 617-989-4500. When calling the Help Desk, identify yourself as an incoming Junior or 5th Year BELM or Co-Op student who missed Junior Refresh Day.
If you do not contact the Help Desk and make arrangements to pick up your new laptop by the close of business on Wednesday, September 19, 2012, a hold may be placed on your account to prevent you from registering for classes or viewing grades online in the future. You will then need a form from the Student Service Center releasing the hold to present to the DTS Help Desk in order to turn in your old laptop and pick up your new laptop.
All students with the exception of readmitted students must do the following before you come to refresh your laptop; readmitted students will be given a laptop appropriate to their class and major:
- Back up your data! DTS will not be able to assist you in backing up your data on the day of the refresh. You must have all of your data backed up before you come to the gym.
Note: The laptop you are returning will be reimaged and your data files will be irretrievable. Instructions for backing up your data can be found at:
- Do not attempt to remove any stickers from the laptop.
- You must also verify you have all the laptop component parts you need to return.
- The laptop needs to come back to DTS with the power adapter, battery, and all internal components. The following is a list of prices that will be charged for broken/missing parts (if applicable, the charge will appear on your tuition account). To avoid these charges, please replace the components (visit www.wit.edu/laptop and click the appropriate partner site):
- Minor dents and scratches - No Charge
- Missing battery - $150
- Missing AC Adapter - $100
- Missing RAM - $100 per 1GB chip.
- Missing Wentworth Asset Tag Number - $25
TO POSSIBLY AVOID THE FOLLOWING CHARGES, PLEASE VISIT THE DTS HELP DESK, LOCATED ON THE 3RD. FLOOR OF BEATTY HALL BEFORE AUGUST 17, 2012. THIS WILL ALLOW THE DTS TEAM TO DETERMINE THE APPLICABILITY OF MAKING REPAIRS TO YOUR LAPTOP BEFORE YOU TURN IT IN FOR YOUR NEW LAPTOP. USERS MAY BE SUBJECT TO PAYMENT OF UP TO A $250 “ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE” DEDUCTIBLE FEE UPON PRESENTATION OF A DAMAGED LAPTOP AT THE HELP DESK; IF YOU WAIT UNTIL LAPTOP REFRESH DAY, YOU WILL BE CHARGED THE FOLLOWING:
- Cracked LCD Display - $500
- Severe Case Damage (causing the machine or a component to be inoperable) – varies, up to $500
- Case Damage (not necessarily causing the machine or a component to be inoperable) - varies, up to $500 depending on the specific laptop component
Co-Op Students - Fall 2012
If you are a Co-Op Student for the Fall 2012 semester, we are asking you to help us help you by doing the following:
If you cannot make the September 4, 2012, refresh date, you will not be subjected to a hold on your account provided you do the following:
- Please call the DTS Help Desk at 617-989-4500 before September 19, 2012. Identify yourself as a Fall 2012 Co-Op student. The Help Desk associate will assist you in setting up an appointment for you to come to the DTS Help Desk, Beatty Hall, Room 320, and refresh your laptop.
- Alternately, as a Fall 2012 Coop Student you can also wait until the Spring 2013 semester to refresh your laptop.
Regardless of your decision, please understand that you must call the DTS Help Desk, identify yourself as a Fall 2012 Junior Co-Op student, and let us know your intentions to avoid the hold.
The Day of the Refresh
- Bring your Student ID (no laptops can be distributed without a Student ID), your old laptop, and the required accessories.
- The refresh process will involve an inspection of your old machine, "checking in" your old laptop, assigning a new laptop, and then doing the initial set-up of your new laptop.
- You will keep the laptop case you were initially given.
You can always find information about the program at the Laptop Program website or contact the Laptop Services team at email@example.com if you have questions.
On behalf of the Laptop Distribution Team, thank you for your cooperation and best wishes for a successful academic year!