WIT Builds - Wentworth Flanagan Campus Center Addition & Renovation
Name: Jessica Gormley
Date of Graduation: August 2008
Company: Shawmut Design and Construction
Project Name: Wentworth Flanagan Campus Center Addition and Renovation
Owner: Wentworth Institute of Technology
Location: Boston, MA
Year: May 2011 – August 2012
SF: 51,000 SF
Brief Description of Project:
- Use – This is a multi-use space including offices, recreation/gathering areas, a fitness center, servery and dining hall.
- Design Features – The project featured two additions and major renovation and infrastructure upgrades.
- Unusual Challenges – The building was occupied throughout construction. Although many construction projects take place within an occupied environment, the cast-in-place concrete structure of the building made this exceptionally challenging as noise and vibration spread rapidly throughout the building.
Brief Description of Your Role:
- Title – Project Manager
- What you did – Document control, financial management and project execution for two thirds of the project. I became a part of the project team in the fall of 2011 and worked with the team through completion.
- Your greatest contribution (proudest moment) – My proudest moment on the project was completion of the second phase ahead of schedule. Our team overcame a number of obstacles to complete the project.
- What you enjoyed – Working with the Wentworth staff and community to create a new and exciting space for the students to enjoy.
- Experience gained – The project was very challenging and there were a number of problems that came up that our team, including Wentworth, Spagnolo Gisness and Associates and Shawmut, needed to resolve.
- How WIT prepared you – Wentworth gave me a solid foundation in the basics of the construction industry and the experience working on team projects that I need to succeed in the construction industry.