Academic Activity and Participation - Hybrid and Online Courses
Given the asynchronous format of online and hybrid courses, students have the opportunity to take part in the class at multiple times during each weekly module. It is recommended that students login to their online/hybrid course, at minimum, 4-5 times per week to participate in discussion boards, read materials, take assessments, and submit assignments. Active participation in online courses is required and is often graded by the instructor.
To be considered active students will be expected to login to their online or hybrid course(s) in the Blackboard Learning Management System (LMS) and participate in at least two (2) “Academic Activities” each week:
- At least one Academic Activity by midnight ET Wednesday each week.
- At least one additional Academic Activity by midnight ET Sunday each week.
- Students who are inactive for more than 15% of the class can be administratively withdrawn from their online course by the instructor.
- During the first week of class students who fail to login to the course by the end of the Drop/Add period will be administratively withdrawn from the course.
“Academic activities" includes any combination of the following:
- Posting to discussion boards within the online course.
- Turning in an assignment within the online course.
- Taking a quiz, test, or other assessment within the online course.
Should a student find they are unable to take part in a given week’s activities they must contact the instructor prior to any assignment deadlines. Makeup work is accepted at the discretion of the instructor. Students should plan accordingly and make sure to read the schedule of deadlines listed in the course syllabus.
Students who are considered inactive for more than a full week during the term without prior approval may be administratively withdrawn by their course instructor. Students who are administratively withdrawn will receive a grade of “WA” for the course. Students have the right to appeal a course withdrawal. Appeals must be in writing and submitted along with documentation to the appropriate Department Chair or Dean for their program of study.