Arioch Center Photo

Contact Us

Please contact us if you have any questions regarding the Academic Catalog

Mark Coen, Associate Registrar

Office of the Registrar
Williston Hall 103
Wentworth Institute of Technology
Boston, MA 02115

Cooperative Education

As a requirement for graduation, undergraduate Day students complete two cooperative education semesters.

* Note:Transfer students must complete at least one semester in residence at Wentworth before being eligible for the cooperative education program.

The two specific co-op courses that are required are:

  • COOP400: Cooperative Education I (typically taken during a student’s
    junior year)
  • COOP600: Cooperative Education II (typically taken during a
    student’s senior year)

A student must register for a co-op course in order for their work experience to fulfill a co-op requirement. Typically, a student will not take other courses during their co-op semester. Enrollment in a co-op course maintains a students full-time student status.

There are two-additional co-op courses that students have the option of enrolling in:

  • COOP300: Optional Cooperative Education
    COOP300 is only offered during the summer semester and is open only to
    students who have completed the prerequisites for the junior year of a
    baccalaureate day program with a grade point average of “C” (2.0) or
    better and where no other remedial work is required. COOP300 does not replace either of the required co-op courses (COOP400 or COOP600).
  • COOP500: Additional Cooperative Education
    A student is eligible for COOP500 only if COOP400 and COOP600 have been completed. Registration for this course is by permission of the Co-op Advisor.

Other than class standing, students must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher as a requirement of co-op. Students not meeting this standard by the end of the semester immediately preceding their co-op term will not be eligible for co-op. The student will be dropped from their co-op enrollment.

Upon completion of the co-op and assignments, students earn a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grade, which is recorded on the student’s academic transcript.

Review of transferable industrial work experience (as a substitute for co-op) must be work congruent with approved co-op positions. Occasionally students enter the baccalaureate day programs with substantial work experience in their major field. With the approval of the Director of the Career Center, this work experience may be substituted for one or both of the cooperative education requirements. Students must formally petition to receive this course substitution.

For The Arioch Center, the Cooperative Work Semester requirement is not applicable.

© Wentworth Institute of Technology   |   550 Huntington Avenue   |   Boston, MA 02115   |   617-989-4590