- What is the Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics (BSAM) curriculum?
- Is the BSAM degree really three years?
- How do I take a course at another Institution?
- Are there math facilitated study groups?
- Where can I find information at Applied Math advising?
- Can I challenge a course?
- How do I stay in touch and learn more?
- What is the Math Club?
- Where can I find course descriptions?
- What courses are required for the Minor in Applied Math?
For questions about the program, please contact:
Chair of Applied Mathematics
Ira Allen 319 | 617-989-4368
Spring Applied Math Competitions
Oral Competition: Thursday, April 11th 2013 beginning at 3:30pm in Blount Auditorium
Integration Bee: Tuesday, April 16th 2013 beginning at 3:45pm in Blount Auditorium
Six cash prizes will be awarded, one for each Competition Option (see below).
- First Place: $200
- Second Place: $100
- Third Place: $50
The competition is open to all Undergraduate degree students at Wentworth Institute of Technology. Please come to watch the Tuesday event even if you aren't competing!
To Sign Up:
- See Vanessa St. Laurent in Ira Allen 323 to sign up for the Oral Competition or the Integration Bee. Currently there are two openings left for the oral competition one at 4:50pm and the other at 5:10pm.
- You may also email her at email@example.com
- Please be sure to include your full name and which option you are signing up for if you register by email.
- All contestants must submit their names by 3:00pm on Thursday, April 11th to compete in the oral competition. You will sign up for a particular one hour time slot. This competition will be limited to no more than the first 16 interested participants. Winners will be notified by email and asked to present their solutions and receive their awards during the April 16th competition.
- All contestants must submit their names by 10:00am on Tuesday, April 16th to compete in the Integration Bee.
- You can sign up for both competitions, but the winners of the oral competition will not be considered for the finals of the Integration Bee.
- If you have any questions, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Competition Option Descriptions:
Integration Bee: Remember how spelling bees work? This is a similar style of competition. There will be an initial written elimination round to select 27 finalists, then 5 question rounds of three people competing head-to-head at a time. The top three winners will compete round-robin style to determine final places.
Oral Competition: A progressively harder related series of mathematical logic puzzles which require no particular math background. You are not expected to solve all of them, and will have about 40 minutes to think through your solution before you explain it. You will present your solution to a judge or two, and if selected for a prize, will present your solution to everyone on April 16th.
*Close relatives of faculty members of the Applied Mathematics are not eligible.