Jobs by Department
- Student Employment Home
- Accelerate (12)
- Admissions (2)
- Alumni Relations (1)
- Alumni Library (1)
- Architecture (6)
- Athletics (8)
- Campus Life (3)
- Civil Engineering and Technology (1)
- Community & Learning Partnerships (1)
- Construction Management (2)
- College of Professional and Continuing Education (1)
- Diversity Programs (1)
- Division of Technology Services (4)
- Electrical Engineering & Technology (4)
- Industrial Design (2)
- Interdisciplinary Engineering (1)
- New Student Programs (1)
- Physical Plant (1)
- Residential Life (1)
Math Understanding Assistant (MUA)
This position is currently filled.
EmployerMathematics and Sciences Department
AddressIra Allen Room 319
Purpose of Jobs, Duties, and Responsibilities
The MUA position is a great job for those people who want to get involved in mentoring others, understanding the material better and in interacting with students to help them learn. It is also a real responsibility - this is a professional job, and we expect that MUAs will meet all of the requirements during the semester and not let down either their professors or the students. Students in calculus classes will really count on the MUAs to help them out - quite a number of students find it easier to relate to the MUAs in their courses, as they are closer in age.
1. MUAs attend each of their assigned professor's classes in order to see what is being taught, and to note the topics which are difficult for students. Occasionally CUAs may help students during class too.
2. MUAs also run at least one weekly 60-minute problem session to go over homework problems and other topics which might have come up during the week.
3. MUAs also check back in with the professor to give feedback.
The job usually takes 5-9 hours per week for the semester for 13-14 weeks.
Supervisor and Contact Information
Federal Work-Study, Leopard Work Program, or both